Day/Night Time Tea
The Side effects and Precautions of using Semaglutide
Semaglutide is a drug that belongs to the class of antidiabetics. It is similar to the GLP-1 because it can discharge insulin into your body.
“Semaglutide” is the generic name for this drug. But it is sold in the market with the brand name “Ozempic.” And we can take it orally or through an injection.
Diabetic patients and people who face weight problems can take the Ozempic (semaglutide) treatment. But like any other medication, it has its side effects.
Our nurse practitioners at SlimCare Medical have gathered some information on the side effects of using the semaglutide drug. And while we are at it, we will also review a few precautions.
Side effects of Semaglutide
Along with positive effects, ozempic will also have a few adverse effects on the user. You will experience nausea, loss of appetite, anxiety, etc., during this medication.
While some reactions will reduce as time passes, a few of them may last or worsen over time. It is at this point you may want to call the doctor immediately.
But the drug has different effects on different individuals. It depends on your medical condition and record. Therefore, always have a clear-cut talk with your doctor about your situation before proceeding.
We will now look at a list of common, rare, and adverse side effects of using the semaglutide drug.
Common side effects:
- Appetite loss
- Stomach aches
Rare side effects:
- Blotching of the skin
- Swelling and inflammation at the injection area
- Ageusia (loss of taste buds)
- Blurred vision
Adverse side effects:
- Allergic reactions
- Swelling of the pancreas
- Low blood sugar (Hypoglycemia)
A key thing here is that semaglutide will not lead to hypoglycemia on its own. However, if you take it with other diabetic drugs, it will lower your blood sugar. Therefore, you should inquire your pharmacist about the required dosage.
Some of these side effects may call for quick medical attention. On the other hand, some are less harmful. Whatever the case, it is vital to seek advice from your physician to minimize some of the risks.
Precautions and measures for using Semaglutide
Now that you’re familiar with the side effects, here are a few precautions you can take during your semaglutide regime.
- Do not take the drug if you have allergies or if other problems occur.
- While you are on this medication, reduce your alcohol intake. If you continue to drink regularly, it can lower your blood sugar.
- You should review your medical history with the doctor before moving forward with the treatment. If the doctor is familiar with your past medical conditions, they can administer the proper dosage.
- During this medication, you may experience side effects like low vision, nausea, etc. Therefore, do not perform tasks that require your clear vision and reflex actions.
- For pregnant women, special care should be taken before taking an ozempic prescription. Doctors will advise you on how to proceed should you choose to use this medication. Additionally, if you’re planning to get pregnant, you should discontinue the usage two months prior.
The semaglutide treatment has its pros and cons. Along with the required results, you will face several problems as well.
But your doctor knows that the benefits are more significant for you rather than the risks. Therefore, keeping this in mind, they will authorise this medication.
Another plus point is that not all people who use semaglutide will experience adverse side effects.